Through Sacramental Marriage, a man and a woman enter into a covenant or partnership of love and mission. Sacramental Marriage is ordered to well being of the husband and wife and to the procreation and upbringing of children.
Receiving the Sacrament of Matrimony at Our Lady of Grace
Our Marriage preparation ministry assists couples preparing to be married in the Catholic Church. OLG's Director of Marriage and Family, Mary Hodgdon, from the Parish Office guides you from the start of the process through your wedding day. Give yourself plenty of time; it takes approximately nine to twelve months to prepare to receive the sacrament (a minimum of six months). Your preparation includes working with a mentor couple over several meetings to discuss the sacrament of matrimony, taking and discussing the results of a personal inventory, and learning the practical tools to use for a long and fruitful marriage. Engaged couples also attend a retreat, learn about natural family planning methods, and, of course, meet our Liturgist, Shelly Aebi, to plan the wedding liturgy.
Newly engaged couples should contact Mary Hodgdon at firstname.lastname@example.org or in the Parish Office at 952-929-3317 (x103). Due to the number of weddings taking place at Our Lady of Grace on a yearly basis, it is highly recommended that couples speak with the Director of Marriage and Family before planning on a specific date or reserving a reception site; Our Lady of Grace cannot guarantee that a couple’s desired date will be available otherwise. Wedding prep generally takes a full nine months.
Archdiocesan Marriage Preparation Retreat Information
Designed by the Office for Marriage, Family and Life, the Living God’s Love Marriage Preparation Program offers engaged couples the opportunity to prepare for the Sacrament of Marriage. Offered in a weekend format, Living God’s Love is structured to help engaged couples reflect on the beauty and richness of the Church’s teachings on marriage and the family.
Couples receive presentations by priests, educators and couples who will share the beauty of God’s vision of marriage:
- Sacrament of Marriage
- Gift of self, intimacy and children
- A Natural Family Planning medical overview
- Specific "how to" ideas from vibrant married couples
- Time to discuss the topics and reflect on how they apply to you
- Suggestions for nurturing your faith
- Discussions on improving your communication, time management and financial planning skills
The program also includes the opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation and attend Mass.
The Archdiocese offers the weekend program every month of the year, with the exception of October and December. Be sure to register online at least six weeks in advance.
- January 12-13, 2018 (University of St. Thomas, St. Paul)
- February 9-10,2018 (University of St. Thomas, St. Paul)
- March 9-10, 2018 (University of St. Thomas, St. Paul)
- April 13-14, 2018 (University of St. Thomas, St. Paul)
- May 11-12, 2018 (Church of St. Peter, Mendota)
- June 8-9, 2018 (Church of St. Peter, Mendota)
- July 13-14, 2018 (Church of St. Peter, Mendota)
- August 17-18, 2018 (University of St. Thomas, St. Paul)
- September 21-22, 2018 (University of St. Thomas, St. Paul)
- November 9-10, 2018 (Church of St. Peter, Mendota)