Safe Environments at Our Lady of Grace
Our Lady of Grace is committed to creating safe environments for all children, youth, and vulnerable adults. All of our volunteers who have regular or unsupervised contact with minors or vulnerable adults must complete a volunteer background check, attend VIRTUS training, and sign a code of conduct. You can access the volunteer forms by going to www.virtusonline.org. If you have questions or would like more information, contact Jamie in the parish office at email@example.com.
For more information about volunteer requirements or creating safe environments, visit the Archdiocesan safe environments website here: http://safe-environment.archspm.org/.
Remember, if you suspect abuse, your first call should always be to law enforcement.
What's the deal with Virtus?
Last summer the Archdiocese outlined new guidelines for ALL past, present & future volunteers. All volunteers that work with our youth or vulnerable adults must complete Virtus or the Essential 3. This includes attending the 3-hr Protecting God's Children class once, getting a background check & signing a code of conduct. However, the change the Archdiocese made was to require that you complete an online update every 3 years after your initial approval. This means many of our tried and true volunteers are in need of an update.
Does it include me?
This includes, but is not limited to all Employees of the Parish & School, School Volunteers/Parents, Coaches, Faith Formation, Sunday School & Confirmation Teachers, Homebound volunteers, just to name a few.
How do I know if I am up to date?
* If you took your class prior to June 30, 2008, you should have done your online update last year. If you have not, you are now considered ineligible to volunteer with our youth.
* If you took your class between July 1, 2008 and June 30, 2014, you are on the NEW & current list of volunteers to update their status. We have an OLG goal to update everyone by January 1, 2017, and it is all online.
* If you have never taken the class & wish to volunteer with our youth/vulnerable adults, contact us.
What do I do now?
1. If you have an account at www.virtusonline.org, login and check your status. Your original training date is listed under the training tab.
2. If you do not have an account, or can't remember your username, or want to join our team of volunteers, you need to contact our OPCY Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org. Step by step instructions are available.